This poem was written in response to today’s Daily Prompt: Sad but true (Harsh).
To all of us harsh words have been spoken
and most of us by them have been broken,
But to none is the pain so severe
than those who are abused by loved ones dear.
Harsh words can also be good for our souls
as St. Paul says there is godly sorrow.
This kind of sorrow leads men to repentance;
if not, certain death is their sentence.
Harsh word have diverse effects
depending on if you’re innocent or wicked,
but for both harsh words crush out life
leading to great inner turmoil and strife.
Harshness is not only conveyed by words:
Actions too are expressions of thoughts.
Discrimination and preferential treatment,
bias and prejudice are works of a tyrant.
To make man less than what he is,
is quite akin to slavery.
HIV, skin colour, race, ethnicity,
education level, fam’ly history
are all examples of the criteria with which we judge.
In some it’s so ingrained you can’t get them to budge!
So harshness characterises our human existance,
but with love we may put up a resistance.
Whether or not we’ll be successful in this
only time will tell in all its fullness,
but try we must for that is love.
It’s not human; it comes from above.
For we love our own;
to others we groan.
Our eyes become harsh
so we put on a mask.
Yet ultimately love will prevail;
The question is: Will you yourself avail?
- Harsh | The Magic Black Book
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Sad But True – Emotions
- Winter Is Near (Harsh) | photo potpourri
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Under the Monkey Tree
- Accurate | Lost in Adeline’s
- Criticism never kills | Clandestine Destiny
- That Was Way Harsh [Daily Prompt: Sad But True] | unknowinglee
- ‘You are DELUDED!’ | alienorajt
- Telling myself off. | thoughtsofrkh
- Always impatient | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True – Criticism | Anniemation Floe
- (22) Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True « Mama Bear Musings
- My Fiancé thinks I am a Junkie! | Shiwanidoez
- Writing Advice; “Good Writing Is Persisting” (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- the truth hurts like a 4 year old’s stomp on your foot | wannabepoet
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Awl and Scribe
- Lolz Criticism | મન ની વાત
- DAILY PROMPT: SAD BUT TRUE? | SERENDIPITY
- You’re Useless | submissivelysecret
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True (A Conversation Between Friends) | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- She Sees the World Through Rose Coloured Glasses … | Girlie Groove
- Maybe it’s you. Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Reinvention of Mama
- Puppy Mill Life… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Harshest | Hope* the happy hugger
- Regarding Those Friends Who See Through You to Something Better: | Rob’s Surf Report
- The Lurker’s List | Misery
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: Sad but True | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Sad but True | Kate Murray
- Don’t take it personally … | 365 And Counting
- I do not like doing things wrong! | Eccentric Lady
- Admit It. | ayimas
- No willpower | Life is great
- Oooo…ouch…. | Maybe Not So Zen…
- Sad but True? | Going New Places!
- Sad But True | The Nameless One
- You’re like a cat – you only call when you want something | Feel & Rebuild Your Self Confidence
- Bad juju gaga | Lady Goo Goo Gaga
- DP: Sad but True | The Deepwater Goldfish
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Time Collage
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Moments Thru Lens
- Harsh | Rebecca Barray
- Me, Myself, and I. | Many More Ripples
- Sad But True: Daily Prompt | lifebeinggirly
- Steve Says….
- Daily Prompt: Sad but true | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Processing the life
- Daily Prompt: Sad but True | Winging it
- Harsh? | Taking One Day At A Time